30 November 2011

Vegetarian Fajitas


Last night I woke up around 3am and couldn't get back to sleep. My mind started reeling and settled on the one thing I hate to think about- all the idiot things I've ever said. I don't know if everybody does this, or it's just a gauge of my insecurity at times, but every now and again I get distracted by my past. I go through all the moments I said things I wish I could take back, or all the things I spoke in ignorance or times I made a complete fool of myself.

Honestly, who cares about that stupid joke I made 5 years ago. I'm absolutely sure I'm the only one still dwelling on it! Ah, but my condition can't be helped. And to make matters worse I start to fear that certain things I say with confidence now, may be haunting me in my bed in another 10 years. That's a scary thought friends.


Thankfully, if there's anything I'm sure I won't regret sharing, it's this recipe. I feel quite confident of it and I know you will be too when you give it a try.

One of my favorite things as a carnivore was fajitas. The sound of a sizzling skillet headed my way gave me goosebumps! Here I've adapted the recipe to suit me as a vegetarian, and I think I may love them even more. Mostly because I don't come away feeling stuffed, but satisfied instead! I'm happiest to say, it's a Hannah original!


Vegetarian Fajitas
serves 6

1 tbsp oil
2 garlic gloves, minced
1 large red onion cut into wedges
2 green bell peppers cut into strips
1 red bell pepper cut into strips
1 yellow (or orange) bell pepper cut into strips
1 carton of mushrooms (sliced)
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 of a vegetable bouillon cube
3 tbsp water
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 cab black beans, rinsed and drained
6 whole wheat tortillas (medium size)

For topping: green onions, cheddar cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, etc!


1. Heat skillet over med-high heat. Add garlic and red onions, stir for 2-3 minutes.

2. Add the peppers, mushrooms, spices, bouillon, and water.  Let simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes (until almost cooked through).

3. Add cornstarch and stir until a thin sauce is created. Once things are cooked through, drain the black beans and throw them in the pan to heat through.

4. While fajitas are cooking, place a grease shield over top of it and place tortillas on top. This is my go-to method for steaming my tortillas so they are nice and flexible for rolling up my burrito!

5. Fill the shell with fajita stir-fry, and any toppings you like!

6. Sit back and enjoy a healthy, satisfying, south-of-the-border meal...


YUM!


QUESTION OF THE DAY:
Do you ever dwell on the things you regret?





No comments:

Post a Comment