03 November 2011

The Perfection of a Norwegian Sandwich

Hi everyone!  I am Megan from A Suitcase and Stilettos and I am super excited to be posting for Hannah while she is away.  Hannah often inspires me to cook.  Unfortunately, after many attempts, I have realized my cooking skills are not even up to par, with say...a 5 year old.  Therefore...I have learned I have to enjoy Hannah's recipes and adventures through her pictures and only hope she travels to Norway one day to cook for me (I'm serious Hannah!)

As a person who is culinary challenged and in a country that is ridiculously expensive, I have learned that I have no choice but to embrace sandwiches.  Luckily, I am in a country that is known for their special types of sandwiches...and unlike eating a sandwich back home in the US, I actually LIKE them here! 

Norway (and other Scandinavian countries) are home to open-faced sandwiches.  I grew up hating sandwiches.  In fact, I hated them so much that I used to hide them in my locker when my mom made them for me for lunch and I would beg people for money to buy french fries instead (apparently it was more convenient to let them mold in a locker than place them nicely in a trash can).  Anyways, these open-faced perfections have introduced me to a new version of a sandwich...and one I finally like (I think I hated too much bread on sandwiches or something in the past). 


source

The best thing about an open-faced sandwich is that anything goes.  I have seen mussels, shrimp, sardines, salmon, beets, and many, many more toppings ('pålegg') on these types of sandwiches.  While I am open to try it all, I still have reservations about certain toppings.



source
I believe my favorite aspect of these sandwiches is the fact that the sandwich is not only based around the bread, but also the topping(s)...something I feel gets a bit lost in an American sandwich.

What is your favorite sandwich topping?  Have you ever tried an open-faced sandwich?  Thanks so much Hannah for having me and I enjoyed writing about one of my favorite things in my new home of Norway!

No comments:

Post a Comment