28 April 2011

Rolette- An Iranian Dessert



I am blessed with many Iranian friends. There our many benefits to our friendship- laughter, learning, understanding, love, and most of all, the food. They feed me well. They feed me until my pants won't button and all I can do is lay still on the couch like a beached whale. By far, my most favorite dish is this rolette. My friend, Viyan, taught me to make it about a year ago and it is now a favorite in our household.

Rolette is basically a sponge cake rolled up in cream and topped with chocolate or pistachios.  When you eat it you are taken away in your minds eye, not to Iran, but to France. Persian desserts are heavily influenced by French pastry and you will find many Persians that are fluent not only in Farsi and English, but French as well.

Take a look at this one here. It is rolled to perfection. I have not mastered this art. You will find my roll cracked at the edges- a disgrace to my cooking teacher, to be sure. What can I say? I'm an American! Rolette is in their blood and I just started making it one year ago!


Exhibit A

Iranian Rolette

Cake Ingredients: 
6 eggs (whites and yolks seperated)
6 heaping tablespoons of all purpose flour
7 and 1/2 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
1 and 1/3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
Butter (to grease pan)

Creme Ingredients: 
1 pint heavy whipping creme
2 and 1/2 heaping tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 or 2 pieces of dove dark chocolate (for garnish)


Exhibit B

Directions: 
* heaping tablespoons is not a measurement.  Rather, take a big soup spoon and scoop a heaping helping. That's one. A lot of this is eyeballing it, and I've done my best to adapt it into an accurate recipe.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Crack 6 egg whites into a large bowl and place the yolks in a bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add egg yolks one at a time, keeping the mixer on high speed until all the yolks have been incorporated.

2. Mix in flour one spoonful at a time until smooth and fluffy. Mix in powdered sugar one spoonful at a time. Add baking powder and vanilla and mix well.

3. Butter a 9x13 cookie sheet and pour in batter. Make sure it sits evenly. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes. Once cooked, roll the cake straight out of the oven being careful not to crack  the edges (if possible). Roll the roll loosely in a paper towel and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

4. Whip creme with a beaters until frothy. Add powdered sugar and continue mixing until stiff. Chop nuts and stir into creme. Carefully unroll the cake once cooled, supporting it where needed to avoid cracking. Fill with creme and roll as you go (see exhibit A).

5. Once the cake it filled, cover the rolette with the extra creme, and fill in the end holes with creme (exhibit B). Grate dark chocolate (or chopped nuts) on top for garnish. Serve cold, and keep refrigerated.


What is your favorite ethnic dessert?



 Also, don't forget to enter the Emile Henry Ruffled Pie Dish Giveaway if you haven't already!

35 comments:

  1. omg how are you so skinny!!!! This looks wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww...I love it too. And I love how you described the benefits of having international friends (or in this case Persian friends). Beautifully said! :)

    As sad as it may seem, I'm not a huge dessert eater. I love cakes and sweets (except chocolate as you know), but desserts? They hardly fit anymore after having a great lunch or dinner... lol

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self: make some Persian friends. Follow-up: get invited to dinner at home of new Persian friends.

    So terrific that you get to experience not only wonderful friendships, but also the amazing parts of various cultures.

    "Food is our common ground, a univeral experience." --James Beard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that rolette looks too delicious for words!
    P.S Thank you for following me, that was a lovely and unexpected surprise. I'm following you now based soley on the pic of that dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks like the most delicious thing i've seen all week. i can't wait to try it out. now i just need to learn how to make fesenjan!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Selma- Have fun and let me know if it varies at all!

    Leslie- Yes, you must make some friends. They make the best friends, so loyal, and their cooking is to die for.

    Ruthie- FESENJAN! Oh, you speak to my heart!!! My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that looks incredible. i want it in my belly. how on earth do you have time to make all these delicious foods? teach me your ways!
    i finish up next april. so not too soon but it's also not terribly far away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I'm drooling at work right now! I wish I can bake but I can't. I always leave it up to my sister to make all the yummy desserts at home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks too delicious! I feel like i would mess up the recipe if I tried to make it though! But I think I may have to try it out anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brissa- I cook on weekends for a few hours (to make meals for the week) and sometimes week nights. It doesn't actually take me that long. It did at first. But after a while you get good at multitasking in the kitchen. :)

    Christine- Have you sister make it and you can cover the main dish...hehe

    Kate- It looks complicated, but believe it or not, it's not that difficult. It comes together in about an hour start to finish (including cooling time.) Can't beat that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amazing even with the cracked edges :) I am sure it is way better than mine would look! lol But maybe I'll try it one day if I'm feeling daring! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm here drinking my coffee and sure would love to have that for breakfast, lol! It's beautiful so don't worry if it's cracked. Pratice makes it perfect:) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks delicious, who would have thought? my fave ethnic dessert is baklava!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That just looks delicious!!!
    My favourite dessert would probably be Pavlova, not sure if its british or just my british family that makes it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must eat this now! Sure, I'd gain 100 pounds, but it'd be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh! I've never even heard of this! It almost looks like an oversize twinkie (I mean that as a good thing!!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you have done a post on an Iranian dessert! I must admit I have appalling little knowledge of desserts from different places so I really enjoyed this ta :) More please!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm getting a ticket to Florida just to try this. I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you say "YUMMY" in Iranian??? (c: So delish looking...this might just be making an appearance this weekend at our house (c:

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm reading this at dinner time, while waiting for the water to boil and throw pasta in the pot...but now I'm about to run to the patisserie and buy a cake! How wonderful is this dessert? I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is AMAZING! I am for sure going to try it

    ReplyDelete
  22. You post the BEST recipes! This is another one I am going to have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks soooo good. I didn't realize that about Persian desserts (not that I really knew too much about them, but you know). Very interesting!! I have already ruined any chance of a healthy diet this week with all the partying, why not throw one of these in too?! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. That looks AMAZING! I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sienna- My favorite ethnic dessert is baklava as well. I'll be posting my recipe for it next month!

    Travelbug- Can you believe I've never tried a pavlova? Do you have a favorite recipe?

    Vivien- Mi casa es su casa!

    Bobbi- I'm jealous! Living in Italy I'm sure you have plenty of yummy pastry shops!

    PEV- I hope you like it!

    TexaGermaNadian- Diet Schmiet! Live a little, and joy a lot, and do some crunches when necessary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my! When I get my baking confidence up, I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. yummy. my favorite desert is probably creme brulee. or flan. or crepes. okay, i love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow...this look SO good! Your blog is just lovely!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that sure does look yummy! Reminds me of cake logs for Christmas but I'm sure much tastier :D I'm a total sweet toothy gal so anything frosted and iced is right up my alley! Thanks for sharing!

    xo-Julie

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. omg delish!
    xoxo

    http://www.leatherlaceblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mmm looking delicious!

    Thanks for stopping by and I agree - classic pieces are timeless and worth the money!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks like a dream. Thanks for sharing this. You really are a culture connoisseur!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hannah, this is gorgeous. ... I'm dreaming of this cake :)Definitely adding the ingredients to this week's shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks amazing! I need to travel more...

    ReplyDelete
  35. um... NUMMY! i think my husband would blow a gasket if i made this for him :) <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete